Sunday, March 27, 2011

Just a lazy Sunday...NOT!

This is one of those Sundays where everything we'd planned for...didn't happen. I mean, does it really ever happen the way we plan it? NAH! But this one was a little more stressful than others. Alyssa, our five-year-old, went to bed last night with a 102.2 temp. She woke in the middle of the night to throw up. Jeremy sent me back to bed so I could get up for Call to Worship at the radio station. He and Alyssa went downstairs and spent the rest of the night/morning watching movies and hovering near a garbage can so she could vomit again when needed. Thankfully that only happened one other time, but her temperature has continued to be in the fever range, and as high as 102.4. Not only that, but her legs and arms were very achy as well. I think because of the fever. Looks like we'll be visiting the good old doctor's office yet again for this winter/spring season. It's been a doozy. I know we're not alone. So many friends have been through much worse. But, man, it really super stinks when your child is sick. To see them so lethargic, whiny, and wiped out can make you feel well...lethargic, whiny, and wiped out. Alyssa's resting peacefully now, but we're praying for healing and a quick recovery for her and for Mom and Dad!

But, at the end of the day, I have to say something kind of strange: I'm proud of myself and thankful for the supernatural strength God has provided in the area of my eating. I know it sounds so selfish to say this. My child is sick. Why would I be proud of myself and even concerned with eating at a time like this? BECAUSE, normally on a day like this I would have found ample reason to throw all eating rules out the window so that I could concentrate fully and solely on my child. You know how it is. When your child is sick, you're emotionally a wreck. Your only focus is making him or her feel better, whatever that entails. Normally on a day like today, I would have just grabbed whatever quick thing I could grab for myself whenever she was sleeping. I would have taken absolutely NO time to think about what's best or healthy for me, because MY CHILD IS SICK. But, today was different. I told myself it was important to continue taking care of me even as my husband and I were taking care of our daughter. And, I'm so glad I did. She's been well-loved, well-fed, well-hydrated, and now she's becoming well-rested. We'll get to the bottom of this sinus infection or whatever is hanging on after her double-strength-dose round of antibiotics last week. She's going to be just fine. And, I'm not left feeling like I have to start all over again in this sugar, grain, gluten, and dairy fast.

Oh, ho, ho, it would have been so easy to look at Jeremy and say, "You know, it's been a stressful day. Why don't you go grab some Chinese take-out while I get Alyssa ready for bed. We'll eat what we want and veg in front of the TV for a little while. We deserve it!" In fact, there were several times those words came into my mouth, found the edge of my tongue, and almost popped out. But today, I didn't speak them!

So, what's the difference? Friends are praying for me. I'M praying for me. I've been reading encouragement from the Bible and Made to Crave, by Lysa TerKeurst. And, I'm learning that food does not win over me unless I let it! Slowly, but surely, the Titanic is getting turned back around. And only I can allow it to stay on the right course this time! Well, with God's help. He's a much better cruise director than I could ever dream of being. Ah...a cruise...that sounds really nice, doesn't it? So does having my whole family healthy for more than a few days. Well, one thing at a time, right?

I hope you've had a FABULOUS weekend. And, I'd love to hear what positive changes you're seeing take place even amidst the craziness of real life. Oh, and please join me tomorrow for Made to Crave Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment